Saturday, March 31, 2007

Milling on the Cheap




In the past couple weeks I have acquired a cross slide and some end mills. A cross slide is basically a vise that has cranks so you can move it left-right and back-forward and an end mill is like a drill bit except instead of drilling, it cuts sideways. I have just tried them out for the first time to make a piece for my adjustable square that was broken. Here is a picture of the piece I made next to the piece that was broken then some pics taken during milling.

4 comments:

yantski said...

I'm impressed that you were able to machine something that thin by only holding it by the end like that.

Ruzter said...

Truth be know I did have to straighten it out a couple times when I went too fast and it chattered...

berserk said...

I just realized you put another bolt on the other side to get rid of any torque tightening it. I'll have to remember that trick.

Ruzter said...

Yes, stops from bending the vise too (made in China)