Friday, June 8, 2007

linux, laptop, wep, wireless..

I am now sitting at my kitchen table writing this blog post. This is significant to me for several reasons:

1) My computer is at my desk, so thus I have got my laptop connected to the internet
2) I connected my laptop wirelessly, thanks to the card Tina gave me!
3) The laptop is running Xbuntu (linux). The laptop can now boot linux or Win98 (which I need to run my CNC.

Ironically I have been putting off doing this for a while, I would start researching it, then get bogged down in the details... Tonight I sat down and was trying AGAIN to test the set up while booting linux from a bootable CD, but that is 2 slow. So I decided it was time to bite the bullet and actually install linux. I went to back up some files only to discover I had done it already. Then, as it turned out I just had to put in the Xbuntu CD and start the laptop and wait... that's it! Eventually I had to turn the WEP off on the router to connect, but nothing else...

go figure

No comments: