Friday, June 1, 2007

Metal Detecting and Light Boxes

What do metal detecting and light boxes have in common? Let me tell you a story.

Tonight I decided to try out my $10 garage sale metal detector at the local park, specifically in the sand around the climbing structures. I have only tried out this detector in front of our old apartment and then only found garbage. My goal is to find enough coins to pay for the detector. Even then, just to find one coin with a metal detector had been a bit of a life time goal. After about 20 minutes of nothing but a bottle cap, low and behold I found a 1969 quarter, my first find! That made my day. So when I got home I wanted to take a picture in our light box, but was unhappy with how the light box pictures were turning out. So I rebuild the light box, much better! Below are the pictures of my quarter and at the bottom a picture of the set up. Two halogen flood lights, a small halogen desk lamp in front and a small flashlight to light up the quarter a bit more. It was fun taking the pictures. I think the cars look good in the pictures too. Now, you are thinking, sure the cars make good eye candy, but what's the deal. Well, if you metal detect in the sand at a playground, chances are you will find more than just quarters... the cars are finds 2, 3, 4 and 5! I had a chuckle when I dug up the first one. Jack and Eric will be happy!

As Paul Harvey would say, " And now you know the rest of the story."




Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

I can confirm that Darrel was really excited about his finds! Way to go honey!

G said...

Okay, now after you fix my fence, you can build me a light box. The price of being a genius I guess!
Lavonne