Saturday, April 14, 2007

I Don't Need No Stinkin' Pipe Bender!

Here's how you make a turn in a pipe without a bender:

Step1: cut the pipe at an angle. The angle doesn't matter as long as it is at least 1/2 the angle of the first "step" in the turn.


Step 2: Rotate the end till the desired first bend is made. By rotating the pipe back and forth, you can set the angle of the bend.
Step 3: Tack weld in place. Repeat TACK weld, you may (will) end up grinding the welds off and fine tuning later!
Step 4: Repeat for as many steps as you want so the bend isn't so "sharp". I only did 2 steps to make the bend since it wasn't that big of an angle. The first cut could be any angle but the other cuts must be more precise because you can't rotate the pipe to adjust the angle like you did the first cut. I tried: you end up with a strange goose necking of the pipe. I should have taken a picture.

Step 5: Once the piece has been test fitted, weld away. Ignore the horrible looking welds in the picture. I was having trouble with the feed on my welder. The welds are all solid and I only had to touch up one tiny pin hole after the pipe was installed. I could have ground the welds to make them look pretty, but it was getting late at night and no one but the next person fixing the exhaust would ever see it.

Finished pipe. It's not pretty but it is solid and it fits!

No comments: