Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Trike Jig Revisited


I thought I had better explain my trike jig problem. Observe the picture to the left. Observe that if you were trying to square it up (the 2 tubes relative to each other and the floor) then there really isn't any place you can put a square. And even if you could, it couldn't be near any of the tube bends, because the tube flares out-of-round there too. See my problem.





I did however stumble onto an interesting solution (I hope). I had this 3/4" melamine with copious amounts of holes for shelving. By screwing the 2 pieces to make the corner they are automatically perpendicular to the desk, and the main tube is very easily zip-tied in place via the peg holes. Thus the main tube is now correctly positioned! Now I have to do something similar with the cross tube to level it, square it to the desk surface and to the other tube. This all works nicely for being able to take the set up out to the garage later to weld it without much disassembly. Thanks to Grant for talking me through how to take the next step and Lara for giving me the peg board shelves!

No comments: